Animals Poisoned Too Close To Home


It is fairly frequent for a pet to be poisoned in their own house, as stated by the Vet Poisons Information service. [Citation needed] [Citation needed] The following are some examples of common compounds that are toxic to pets:

Vermin poison: you may be attempting to get rid of nuisance rats or slugs, but ingesting these chemicals might cause your pet to have significant internal bruising or bleeding. It’s possible that the consequences won’t be immediately visible, but whatever the case, the outcomes will be quite significant.

Paracetamol is a medicine that may help alleviate the pain of a headache; however, animals are very sensitive to the effects of paracetamol, and even a tiny dose can be quite dangerous for them. Ibuprofen is another medication that is very harmful to dogs; it may lead to gastrointestinal ulcers, renal failure, and vomiting and diarrhoea in canines.

Chocolate: even though it’s delicious, chocolate shouldn’t be given to your pet since it includes theobromine, a chemical that’s extremely similar to caffeine and may be harmful to their health if they consume it. Your pet might have tremors, convulsions, and cardiac difficulties if even a tiny amount of dark chocolate is consumed since it has a very high concentration of theobromine.

Cats should avoid lilies as much as possible since they are very toxic to cats and may cause renal failure. A cat might be exposed to an extremely high risk of illness or death from even a short encounter with the pollen of this hazardous plant. The whole plant is toxic.

These dried fruits, such as grapes, raisins, and sultanas, provide a wonderful flavour when added to cereal. You probably wouldn’t give it a second thought if one of them fell on the floor and your dog picked at it a little bit. On the other hand, feeding a dog grapes, raisins, or sultanas might lead to renal failure. Even while not all dogs are allergic to this particular food, it is still best to err on the side of caution.

Sweeteners: Sugar-free chewing gums and candies sometimes include artificial sweeteners, such as xylitol, which are exceedingly hazardous to a dog’s health. Even if you have a need for sweets, if your dog consumes xylitol, it may lead to low blood sugar levels as well as harm to the liver.

If you suspect that your pet has been poisoned, your first step should be to get in touch with a veterinarian clinic in your area as soon as possible. It is imperative that we act quickly! Take a sample of the chemical that was consumed and present it to your veterinarian so that they can evaluate and treat your animal more effectively. If you have insurance for your pet, you won’t have to worry about the costs of the veterinarian either. If your pet becomes sick or is hurt in an accident, you may be covered by certain insurance for up to £7,000 per year in medical expenses. If your pet becomes sick, you won’t even have to pay out of pocket since certain insurance will pay your veterinarian directly if they are set up to receive payments in the event that your pet gets sick.

However, rather than taking your pet to the veterinarian, it is in your best interest to keep them away from potential dangers and to ensure that they consume nothing other than what they are intended to.

Recent Posts